Friday 16 October 2009

Nails Inc - The Hills Collection

So I bought this collection because it had new colours, not because I'm some huge fan of The Hills, in fact I don't know what The Hills is, other than a TV show!

I tweeted that I was swatching this collection even though I didn't know what The Hills was and this was the response from my pal, Sam:

"OMG you're like, SO not with the programme, literally. It's like a totally kewl reality show set in LA. Durrrr"

Thanks for the update Sam, I think that tells me all I need to know about the show and why I don't watch it!

On with the swatches...

First up is Rodeo Drive, a dark teal, this is in shade


and in sun


This is 2 coats and a great colour. I'm hoping do some comparisons soon but it's definitely no dupe for Illamasqua Muse or Ciate Superficial which are both lighter.

Beverley Hills.
 

Shade


and this is in sunlight

Nails inc call it a raspberry red, to me it was more of a coral with a slight jelly finish

This is 3 coats and I still have some visible VNL.

Next up is Hollywood, my first neon.

Like most neons this dries with a level of matte finish, in this case more of a satin than true matte.

The true intensity of the neon is also impossible to capture. In reality it's a much brighter pink than the photo shows!

This was 3 coats as it was a bit streaky.



I also popped on a top coat to check out the shiny version



Last up is Melrose Avenue



This is a dark blurple, Nails Inc call it an indigo which seems right. I did tweak this a little to get the colour more accurate, like most blurples it photographed more blue than the real colour.

Formula on this wasn't great, I had to do 3 coats which is almost unheard of with Nails Inc.

In fact in general I'd say this collection wasn't up to Nails Inc usual very high standard. A couple took 3 coats to be even and opaque. Some great colours but overall not a great collection.

4 comments:

  1. Melrose Avenue looks really gorgeous- i love purples/blurples

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Melrose Avenue. You're not missing anything by not watching the Hills. It's one of those shows that proves you'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice enough but nothing need-worthy in there....thank goodness.

    I was unfortunate enough to catch some episodes of the US version of I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here, which featured some people from The Hills.
    It made me shudder, and not from the creepy crawlies - those two people were awful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My BF was telling me about those two on I'm a Celebrity, they sounded horrible. I'm happy to stay in ignorance!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment - I appreciate all of them!